Re: XFree86 gamma correction

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> My XFree86 stuff looks much darker than on PCs or Macs... sounds like a
> gamma problem to me.
>
> Anyone have any pointers to docs on setting up gamma on XFree86?  Doesn't
> seem to be a how-to on it.
>
> Jules

The only pointers I can offer you are the XFree86 and XF86Config man
pages - looking at the man pages, it appears that you can test out
gamma correction with:
startx -- -gamma <value>
Where <value> is from 0.1 to 1.0 (if you're already running an X, say
because you're using xdm, you'll have to do:
startx -- :1 -gamma <value>
)

You can also specify gamma values for each individual color by using

Once you've gotten the Gamma correction you think you need, you can
add a line like
  Gamma <value>
or

To the "Monitor" section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config file (right above
the Mode lines).

I've found that
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/student/gritz/gamma.html
has a nice chart for eyeballing one's gamma factor.