Re: URGENT: Problems with bash_2.01.1-1_i386.deb pkg.

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Damir Naden wrote:

> Can I :
>
> a) install ash INSTEAD of the bash and remove the bash completely then
> reinstall it fresh?

If you can install _and_ properly run ash, then you could either:

 exec ash
 dpkg --purge bash
 dpkg -i bash.deb
 bash   (see if it works now)

or

 replace "bash" with "ash" in /etc/passwd and try to fix bash

> b) if someone would be kind enough to send me their
> /var/lib/dpkg/updates/bash.* files from 2.01-5 bash installation
>                         ^^^^^^ I'm not sure this is right
> since it appears this is where my problem is?

I think you mean /var/lib/dpkg/info/bash.* ?

If you still need those, mail me and I'll send you mine. I can also send
you the appropriate bash and libreadline binaries if you want.

Good luck,

Joost