Re: non-free software

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, King Lee wrote:

> May I suggest that you might make a non-free_1 and
> non-free_2 directory.  The non-free_1 directory  would
> contain software for which there is no possible legal
> liability for the cdrom vendor and  cdrom vendors would
> be encouraged to include.  The directory non-free_2
> would contain packages with more restrictive licenses.B

Everything that is in non-free is there because it has a problematic
license.  Some stuff prohibits charging for distribution, some only a
"reasonably copying fee".  It's too much effort for someone to look
through to decide on.

> Some of stuff in non-free is, in my opinion, rather basic and
> cdrom vendors should be encouraged to include it. Especially
> since other vendors include it with their distribution.

Are you volunteering to read all the licenses carefully?  I considered
that once, but gave up after realizing how poorly a lot of the non-free
licences were constructed.