Re: sdram and linux

tony mollica wrote:

> Hi. Just looking for a little more info.
>
> Just installed 64megs 168 pin sdram (replacing the 64megs of the usual
> type 72 pin edo stuff) in my system and it appears
> to be causing file system corruption, as indicated on boot
> up by fsck (attempted boot up, actually).  Booting from the rescue
> disk and running fsck reports lots of problems, fixes them all, but the
> problems reappear at the next reboot from the hard disk drive.  Also ran
> into a problem with programs exiting unexpectedly and core dumping for
> no apparent reason.
>
> Tried my Debian kernels 2.0.30 and 2.0.33 with the same
> result and put the original memory back, which seems to
> have fixed the problem with either kernel version.
>
> Has there been any similar reports or other problems using
> 168 pin sdram type memory or are there any hardware or kernel
> settings that I may have overlooked to make this work?  The
> memory works ok on 'other' o.s.'s and machines.
>
> thanks,
> --
> tony mollica
> tmollica@sb.net

It may be possible that you SDRAM is damaged. You usually won't notice this on
other OS's, because there is a big difference in the RAM-usage. Linux really
'uses' the memory more than on those other 'OS's'. In fact the usage is heavy
compared to other OS's.

But as Manoj stated - backup your HD - just in case... ;-)

    Mac