Re: what serve the file in the /dev directory

> Those are your device drivers!   BE CAREFUL IN THERE!
>
> For example, if you have an ide hard disk it is /dev/hda

i do know,i take extreme precaution before making a move there but there's
cryptic devices there who i don't know they're purpose,all who's compiled
in my custom kernel is serial,ide hard drive and ide cd so i know that i
dont touch ttyS* hda and hdb,i removed sd* and lp device (i didn't
compiled these in the kernel),here's the device i'm not sure about they're
definition:

nst*, pty*, hitcd, hwtrap, importbm, jbm, logibm, mcd, st* ( are these an
interface for st506 hard drive), ttyq*, md*, rft*, qscd, xda*, sndstat.

that's nearly all i've found in my /etc directory on the disquette who i
dont know about these.

Alain Toussaint

p.s. the * denote a wildcard,i didn't wanted to write the full name of the
device.