Re: ext2fs resize?

Waye-Ian CHIEW <chiew@ibm.net> writes:

> I'm presently trying to shuffle and resize several partitions on a
> disk device without losing data.
>
> Can the ext2fs resize itself?
> That is, can the filesystem shrink or grow in size to accommondate a
> resized partition?  Is there a tool to do this?

None that I know of.

> Can the ext2fs move itself?  If the whole filesystem is moved up or
> down (relative to the start of the partition), will it still work?

Don't move the filesystem relative to the partition, move the
partition instead.  All operation of a filesystem are done relative to
the partitions start so a relocation within the partition will not work.

If you have some free space or an unused partition you can use either
tar or cp (with the -a parameter) to copy your partitions around, make
room for bigger ones, format them and restore the contents of the
partition back.  BE CAREFUL and if you can create a full backup use
your chance.

        Torsten