Re: Installing Mouse Driver

You are probably using debian version 1.3 or earlier and have a ps2
style mouse.

Your message is not clear to me but...

If you move the mouse when in a console, does a mouse curson appear on
the screen?

Where did the error message you listed come from?  If you received that
message when X-Windows was running then the problem can be cleared up
several ways.  The best being to upgrade to the latest stable release
(version 1.3.1r6).

You also can type "gpm -k" in a console and attempt to start X again (it
should now work).

The kernels have mouse support however during installation there should
have been an option to include "module support" for a ps2 style mouse.

If you did not choose that option (and that is the problem) then there
are ways to solve the problem (I don't think that you would get the
error message you mentioned from that problem however).

John Wingfield wrote:

> I am a new user of Debian Linux.  After much guesswork I have managed to
> install Debian and XFree86 (not provided with the CD).
>
> Unfortunately when installing Debian I could not include a mouse driver
> in the kernal because some a "device in use" error.  As a consequence I
> cannot use XFree86.
>
> Can anyone offer me some advice on how to retrospectively install a
> mouse driver?
>
> John Wingfield
>
> --
> John Wingfield
> Committee Member & Website Manager
> British Double Reed Society
>
> John.Wingfield@bdrs.demon.co.uk
> http://www.bdrs.demon.co.uk/
>
> --

best,
-bill
      bleach@BellSouth.net  b.leach@Worldnet.att.net
           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
         See!  They do get some things right!