Re: X query..

Hi Michael Beattie; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:
> Whenever I start X, I get an xterm automatically opening. Is there a way
> to stop this? I have never minded until now, but now I usually close it
> straight away. The reason I ask is that it does not appear to be a result
> of one of the windowmanagers opening. there is a routine in the Xsession
> file:
>
> case $# in
> 1)
>   case $1 in
>   failsafe)
>     if grep -q ^allow-failsafe /etc/X11/config
>     then
>       exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
>     fi
>     ;;
>   esac
> esac
>
> but even after commenting it out, (and removing "allow-failsafe" in
> /etc/X11/config as well) it does not stop..

If you have the "stock" Xsession file (not manually edited) it should contain
one other line few paragraphs down from the place you are quoting:

then
  exec $startup
else
  rxvt -ls -geometry 80x12+2+2 -T 'login@camelot' &
  if [ -e /etc/X11/window-managers ]
  then
    for i in `sed 's/#.*//' /etc/X11/window-managers`
    do

Notice the line starting (in my case) with "rxvt"? This is the one that will
work under normal conditions and start up your "xterm" (I have manually edited
my file to use rxvt instead of the xterm)...

HTH

DamirN