stopping pppd redial with persistent connection

hi,
   I've got a Linux Router Project (Debian based) box running a
permanent connection to the 'net via a 57.6 modem.
I'm using pppd in persist mode and a few weeks ago over the weekend
the account ran out of credits at the ISP so they disabled the account.

The box rang the ISP every minute or so for just over a day and clocked
up
~$185 in phone charges.

In the chatscript I've got

ABORT  "Authentication Failed"

which happens when the account is disabled cause the accountant forgot
to pay the bills again.

this should return error code 6.  How do I get pppd to block totally
when
this happens.  Ideally this should stop pppd from dialing at all till
someone manually restarts it.

What I'd also like to be able to do is actually conform to Austel
regulations
and not have the box dialup more than 3 times in half an hour with each
call at least 2 minutes apart. This isn't as critical tho.

thanks in advance,

--
Daniel Quinlan                     daniel@netwise.net.au
Netwise Australia                  0417 677 377