kurt klingbeil <kurtk@vegnet.com> on Thu, Mar 26, 1998 at 12:32:45PM -0700:
> What I'm really dying to know, is why the Home, End, and Del keys
> are not config'ed, out of the box, to do the right things in bash.

Respectively, these keys are mapped to the keysyms, Find, Select and
Remove.  I'm not sure what they do, but there surely is some reason for
these default mappings.

And why does the DOS way == the Right Thing ?  Personally I would hate
having to lift my fingers from their home-row positions to do things
like this.  I use a vi-style bash prompt (set -o vi) for this very
reason (and have remapped escape to the capslock key also).

> Shit, it's hard to take that doskey would out-function bash in _any_
> respects.

Heh.  It doesn't even come close.  If you want those keys to do that,
then you can configure them to do so local to bash's readline, or
globally, or whatever.

> kinda mental block about it and can't believe it doesn't bug
> everyone else and at least one person enough to have fixed it.

Fix what is not broken?

> Maybe I've just been using Gatesware too much ??
> It does seem like a basic completeness issue.

Linux != DOS.  Similarly, readline != doskey (thank heavens!)

> I've just started using debian.  It's very cool!

Is this to be read that you've just started using Linux?  If so, then
this would explain your consternation.

--
Scott