Re: LILO woes.

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Well, when it changes you've left an old LILO in your MBR, which is
> why it doesn't work. The new one is in your boot sector instead.
> You should be able to disk "FDISK /MBR" in DOS to reinstall a standard
> MBR, or install the mbr package I think, to replace it, then set your
> Linux root partition active.

IIRC just installing the mbr package doesn't fix your MBR. You have to do
what the /usr/sbin/liloconfig script would otherwise do for you (you can
do it with the script anyway I think.)

To install a pristine MBR on /dev/hda type this:

  dd if=/boot/mbr.b of=/dev/hda bs=444 count=1

After that you'll want to activate a partition. That is the partition that
holds the lilo partition boot sector. This can either be done
interactively with fdisk or on the command-line with the command
/sbin/activate that comes with the lilo package.

To activate the first partition of /dev/hda type this:

  /sbin/activate /dev/hda 1

Cheers,

Joost