embarassing X questions

Good evening folks!

I have 3 questions that I don't see really covered in my X book.

1) Is there somewhere I can read up on the different types of windows
managers?

2) I loaded X without a windows manager installed. I can move my
mouse around, but that's about it, no menus or anything. I switched
VCs just to make sure I wasn't locked up :-).. The question is..how
do I properly close out of X without a windows manager?

3) After X loads up, my screen is shifted one character to the left,
wrapping to the right hand side of the screen...what's that all
about? I'm forced to reboot to straighten it out!