Re: Debian & PGP 5.5.3, importing keys question

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Steven Morrill wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>     I recently got pgp 5.5.3 running on the NT (I know...gag!) side of
> my box. I want to use pgp
> with Debian, of course, and the most recent version I've found seems to
> be 5.0 for Linux. I
> created new keys, both RSA & Diffie-Hellman keys under 5.5.3 and NT. If
> I get pgp installed
> in Debian, does anybody know if I can simply copy those keyrings from
> the NT side to the Debian
> side pgp, and if they will work?
>
>    Pgp seems to be getting updated on an almost weekly basis, with all
> sorts of hacks popping up.
> If anybody has had any particular success with a certain version, I'd
> like to hear about it. BTW,
> I'm using Debian 1.3 (bo) from the boot disk with XFree86 & Netscape
> 4.04.

Personally, I would recommend using one of the PGP 2.6.X variants
with RSA keys.  Since PGP has gone commercial, I've heard of several
inconsistencies and incompatabilities with 5.X keys.  I believe there
is a 2.6.3ia version that will suit your needs that will still operate
well with most all of your tools.  Jaari Alto has some interesting
links you might check out in this connection:

ftp://cs.uta.fi/pub/ssjaaa/ssjaaa.html

In my own experience, after having used 5.x for a while, I've had
fewer problems using 2.6.x and with the same confidence of privacy.
Just my $0.02.

--
David S. Jackson  <dsj@dsj.net> <http://www.dsj.net>
"Linux: Choice of a GNU Generation!"