Re: Bizarre unsatisfied link...

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Luis Francisco Gonzalez wrote:

> > Well.. I'm only at 3.3.2-1.  I guess I'l give it a day to see if the new
> > version appears on the debian mirrors, and live without netscape till
> > then..
> >
> It can be downloaded from
> http://master.debian.org/~branden/xlib6_3.3.2-2_i386.deb

Ok.

My fault, everyone.  I assumed that the 'new' xlib6 on frozen was the
really new one.  In fact, the really new one (URL above, courtesy of Luis)
does fix the problem.  So, if you have old libc5 linked X clients (e.g.
Netscape), then go get the above xlib6 to sort out linking problems.

Now, a question for the clever guys among you?  Why was ldd not working
with the incorrect versions of libX11 and friends?

It appears that the 'bad' libs in /usr/lib/libc5-compat were internally
linked against libc6, and our new 'smart' ld.so refused to allowed a lbc5
program to dyn-link to a libc6 based library.  Who would have thought
upgrading libc was so complex...

Jules