Still seeking solution to PPP failure with kernel 2.1.90.

I am confused concerning PPP and kernels.  As reported to these lists earlier,
I attempted to compile 2.1.90, with PPP configured.  Neither when configured
as a module, or in the kernel itself, would PPP support be recognized.  I
upgraded to ppp in hamm, but no help there.

Earlier attempts, with other 2.1.XX kernels, would at least dial, but
hand up when pppd could not install a lock.  This time it's worse.

My system is a hamm system, with all the needed utiltities up to date.  Libraries are mostly up to date, although I have to say that I cannot tell anymore
when going through the FTP archives, which packages I might need or which not.
(Used to be a neat utiltiy around called TIND).  I have tried tht
debian header scheme and with the native linux scheme, and the bottom line doesnn't change.

I have tried all kinds of ppp versions, and kt

tried the "make kernel" ti\
rick in the /usr/src/ppp..  directory.

Nowhere can I find a lucid description of what that all means.  If I could \
get to the bottom of it, I'd thnk

write one.

Sorry for the butchered up text.

alan davis adavis@netpci.com