Termcap? Why is X failing?

Hi,
I'm new to the list, and to Linux in general.
I manually installed Debian 1.3 and XFree 3.3 (no CD-ROM or
anything...just d/l and put on floppies). I've had some problems with
X, but I think I've got most worked out. (Whoever mentioned the
Microsoft ps/2 style ..*thanks*! that's one less problem I have :-)

My new problem is X bounces out to the message (yes, 3 times):

xterm: unable to find usable termcap entry.
xterm: unable to find usable termcap entry.
xterm: unable to find usable termcap entry.

My screen also shifts one character to the left and wraps to the
right hand side.
I found some scrap of some document on some website that mentioned
that "The file /etc/termcap is a text file that lists the
terminal capabilities. Several applications use the termcap
information to move the cursor around the screen and do other
screen-oriented tasks. tcsh, bash, vi and all the curses-based
applications use the termcap database."

I have a terminfo directory, but no termcap file....what do I need to
do, and what would cause this type of failure?