Re: kernel-source2.0.33

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, W Paul Mills wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, John Maheu wrote:
>

> > I've had some trouble with mounting iso9660 and msdos type fs with kernel
> > 2.0.33. The kernel complains that these fs types are not supported.
> > However, they were built as modules and exist in /lib/modules/2.0.33/
>
> This sounds like a problem with the necessary modules not loading. This
> happens to me if I use filesystem type auto without the modules preloaded.
> Could be a kerneld problem - Did you run depmod -a?

Yes, I think this was the problem. Everything is running fine now,
including kerneld. It seems strange that in some cases module
dependencies get calculated upon booting a new kernel and in some cases
they don't.

Is one always required to run depmod -a after installing a new kernel?

John
John Maheu                           phone: 545-2289
Queen's University                   email: maheuj@qed.econ.queensu.ca
Dept. of Economics
Dunning Hall 347
Kingston ON