Sanyo CD drive prevents boot

I have here a Sanyo H94-A CD drive which I am havign trouble installing.
If I turn on my computer with it plugged into the IDE bus, it won't boot
(nothing on the screen, no boot noises). If I unplug it from the IDE bus
but leave it connected to power, it insists it's busy 100% of the time and
thus won't open.

My inclination is that since the problem arises long before the OS comes
into play, it is not a question of software at all. Maybe I just don't
know how to wire it right. One other odd thing is that it has no
master/slave switch; I have no idea if these could be connected.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would appreciate them greatly.

Thanks.

Aaron Brick.