initdb error while configuring postgresql 6.3-2

While installing postgresql 6.3-2 with dselect, the following error message
appears during the config phase:

Setting up postgresql (6.3-2) ...
Now installing the PostgreSQL database files in /var/postgres/data
su - postgres -c initdb -l /usr/lib/postgresql/lib -r /var/postgres/data -u postgres
-sh: initdb: command not found
dpkg: error processing postgresql (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
 postgresql

I have made sure that /usr/lib/postgresql/bin in part of root's PATH.  In fact,
if I exit dselect and type initdb at the command line, the message about
needing to specify some options to initdb is printed, so I know that it is
finding initdb.

What do I need to do to finish configuring postgresql?

I am running the latest from hamm, and do not have the package secure-su
installed.  Is that package needed?

Thanks for your help.

James