Re: X config problem: -dpi option

Marizio asked:
> Does someone know where in the config files one can set the -dpi option for
> the X server, if a value is needed which is different from the default?

     Do you really mean the "-dpi" option for printing, fonts, etc.?  If
so, disregard my following answer.

     If you are really asking about the "-bpp" (bits per pixel) option
for color depth (number of colors on screen), then you might try setting
it in a new file in your home directory, e.g.,

touch .xserverrc

Then edit .xserverrc with the editor of your choice to say:

exec X :0 -bpp 16

     ...which will set your color depth to 16-bit.  I hope I answered
the right question here.  I do not know offhand how to set dpi for
printing in X.  By the way, it took me _days_ to find out how to set
color depth for X.  :-(  ...then I could not find image manipulation
programs that would work with 16-bit color.

Art