Re: Attn: Newbies Re: Random "Broken Pipe"

Addressed to: Art Lemasters <alemas@ipa.net>
              Debian <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

** Reply to note from Art Lemasters <alemas@ipa.net> Sun, 22 Mar 1998
23:41:26 -0600 (CST)

>      Some wonderful developer(s) fixed our manpage readers of
> the coming release (hamm) so that they will also scroll upwards
> to the beginning of any file we read.  The manpages (accessed
> by typing "man nameofcommand"--without the quotes) can also be
> searched with the "/" foreslash command in the "hamm" version.
> Excellent work...

You could also use:

man <program name> | less

What *really* puzzles me as a newcomer to the linux (debian) arena is why
using less (or anything else that could backscroll and do searches) hasn't
been made the ruddy default right from the begining. I have shaken my head
in bemusement and frustration over this and the archaic wordstar text
processors that seem to be included as default with more than one
application I have here on my Debian CD.

(one newbie user who is looking forward to a new stable debian release that
hopely won't include such obvious archiac software)