Re: Attn: Newbies Re: Random "Broken Pipe"

Adam wrote the enlightenment:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Art Lemasters wrote:
>
> >      Some wonderful developer(s) fixed our manpage readers of
> > the coming release (hamm) so that they will also scroll upwards
> > to the beginning of any file we read.  The manpages (accessed
> > by typing "man nameofcommand"--without the quotes) can also be
> > searched with the "/" foreslash command in the "hamm" version.
> > Excellent work...
>
> This has nothing to do with man.  With bo, the pager that man used was more,
> and that couldn't go up.  Now, the default is less, which does as you
> describe.  This could have been changed manually at any time.  You didn't have
> to wait for hamm.
>
> This might not have been done in hamm's man, I am not sure.

    It worked that way for me in hamm.  In bo, it was either not the
default, or my bo was broken.  In any case, less was an excellent idea
for a default for manpage paging.  Literature students tend to be more
"linear thinkers," whereas technology students tend to do more "back-
checking," so it was an excellent idea for a default whether implemented
recently or long ago.  I did not know that it could be used in bo at
all.  Thank you for the tip, Adam.  Learning is the most important part
of all of this for me, because I hope to lend some of that writer's
"linear thinking" to developing documentation in the near future.
Thanks again, Adam.  And thanks, Shaleh, for your correction on this,
also.  Correct me to the list anytime.  When it comes to incoming
instruction, I try to be like a sponge while having the sensitivity
of a lizard.  ;-)

Art