gated, ospf, multicasting SOLVED!

I have had some trouble getting OSPF to send muticast announcements over
PPP using gated.  I finally got it to work and you DO NOT need mrouted.

After walking my way through the source, I discovered that gated will not
multicast ospf on a point-to-point interface no matter what kind it is.
If the interface needs three things for gated ospf to use it.

it must have the broadcast flag set, it must have the multicast flag, it
MUST NOT have the pointopoint flag.

SO,

ifconfig ppp0 broadcast, multicast -pointopoint

allowed gated to use multicast on the interface with a 2.0.32 kernel
provided you have multicast supprt in the kernel when you compiled it.

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org