Re: Telnet to the router

>Is there a reason why I can't telnet normally to the router?
>I don't get a login prompt when I first connect but only after 3 or
>more minutes????? even if a "ps -ex" show that in.telnetd is there

Actually, it's 150 seconds - or 2.5 minutes - however you look at it.

The reason for the problem is that telnet (and ftp, etc.) try to do a
reverse name lookup on the IP address of the incoming connection.  There are
lots of ways to get around this problem, but I've idea on how to stop this
lookup from happening.

***IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS, I'D REALLY APPRECIATE HEARING THEM***

You can solve the problem by adding the ip and *any* hostname to /etc/hosts
on the box you're connecting to.  This wil allow the IP to be resolved (even
if wrongly...).  (This solution won't for my situation - thus my
headline/cry-for-help above....)

Later,
Kevin Traas