Port 1029 connections

I'm running Debian 1.3.1, kernel 2.0.33
I'm new to this list.
I'm on Ethernet.
I'm also using IP Masquerading.

Problem is, I keep getting people in my logs trying to access
port 1029 multiple times. I telnet there from localhost or other
places and there is nothing. you can even try it. toothpaste.gt.ed.net
(tho doing so will get more people on my logs :) )
anyway. Someone told me Debian used to do wierd things with port 1029.
I can't find any trace of anything going on in 1029. /etc/services lists
nothing.  SO I don't see why these people keep trying it and also how
in the world do They know I even exist anyway?
confusing. THanks a lot for any help!

daich@toothpaste.gt.ed.net