problems updating hamm

I've been having a bit of a problem updating hamm to the latest and can't
configure either base-passwd or kbd:

running dpkg --pending --configure ...
Setting up base-passwd (2.0.3) ...
Moving user ftp to uid 999.
WARNING: /etc/passwd fails sanity check!
dpkg: error processing base-passwd (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
Setting up kbd (0.95-5) ...
Removing any obsolete scripts: .
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/keymaps: file does not exist
dpkg: error processing kbd (--configure):

Is there a work around, or are there new bugs?  All seemed well until a
few days ago.

Also dselect reports several packages as "Obsolete/Local".  I assume this
is because of the freeze process and they will be added after bug fixes
have been incorporated (I have been monitoring the debian-devel list, so
am not panicking over this).

I thought that unstable had been renamed frozen, but don't see this
yet(??)

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com