Re: hamm/contrib/binary-i386/Packages* files

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 taren@c719777-a.frmt1.sfba.home.com wrote:

: Why are the hamm/contrib/binary-i386/Packages* files empty?  There are files
: in that subtree which are needed to successfully install multiple programs
: from the main hamm distribution.

Probably because the archive is in a state of flux as the freeze takes
place?  Besides, "hamm" is "unstable", right?  It's not quite fair to
expect it to work 100% of the time, even though it often does (which
speaks highly of our developers)

What really bugs me about this email is the assertion that the archive
is now somehow worthless, due to the disappearance of the "Packages"
file.  Good grief.  If you're running the unstable distribution, it's
assumed you have some understanding of dpkg, and are at least willing to
try to work things out.  (Hint:  you don't need the packages file to
install packages.  It's there for convenience.  Even dselect does not
need it if the deb files are local.)

: I have switched to Redhat, and will continue using the Redhat distribution
: until this situation is rectified.

Well, that's a great show of confidence :)  Thanks for your support.

(If I sound pissed, sorry; but I really don't quite understand the tome
of your post at all)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104