Trouble with /var/spool/mail/????

Out of necessity, I have recently moved /var to another partition.
I tar'ed up the directory and then untar'ed it on the new
partition.  This morning, I cannot get xfmail to open
/var/spool/mail/user saying that it cannot lock the file.
I figure the problem results from the movement of /var.

Also, when I run dselect, I often see the message:

Update-menus: Cannot remove lockfile /var/run/update-menus.pid

which may come from the same cause.

Any suggestions on solving these troubles?  What are the
appropriate permisions for /var/spool/mail/user?

Thanks for any assistance,

Paul