Re: Debian on Thinkpad 560x...

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 02:23:12PM +0800, Tan Wee Yeh wrote:
> finn@midco.net wrote,
> :: Nuts... how did that evade me?? I had tried as you suggested
> :: and it booted up just fine :)... is there anywhere I can get
> :: the configuration for the Tecra kernel so I can build one
> :: for hamm??
>
> :I believe the part that makes them work on Thinkpads is the fact they're
> :built as "zImage" rather than "bzImage".  For some reason "bzImage"
> :kernels cause Thinkpads, and many other laptops, freak out during boot.
>
> :If you use kernel-package you can still generate a zImage ... I forget
> :exactly how.  Otherwise, just do "make dep; make clean; make zImage ..."
> :as usual.
>
> make-kpkg --zImage ...
>
> I created a set of boot-floppies with Bruce's boot-floppy
> package and another test bootdisk (using the same kernel
> configuration).
>
> The boot-floppies hang on me after the "loading linux.." but
> I manage to advance to beyond the scroll of kernel boot
> messages until I got a kernel panick (due to no root
> device).
>
> Any idea??
>
> If possible, can anyone advise on how I can get the
> configuration of the bo-tecra boot-disk... or has anyone
> successfully installed hamm on the thinkpad (esp 560x).
>
> Thanks again...
>

> 	Just me,
> 	Wire ...
> --
> Tan Wee Yeh		wytan@post1.com		tanweeye@iscs.nus.sg
> For PGP public key : finger -l tanweeye@fingerhost.nus.sg

Yes!  Hamm runs just fine here on stinkpad 560.  Also have it on a 760L.
All of this pre-dates hamm installation disks though.  Brought them up on
bo disks, and made the libc6 conversions.  I don't do dselect either but
rather dpkg -i for each package.

IMHO you should work in the goodies one at a time.  X took a lot of work.
APMD would not run w/o a patch that I found, and you probably need to
exclude floppy from the kernel config.  (Do insmod floppy to use it.)  My
apmd still tanks when I load "serial.o".

HTH!  davew
--
dwiebold@etnsed.aus.etn.com . . . . . . .  My other computer runs Linux!

If the ends don't justify the means, then what does?
        -- Robert Moses