many many segfaults

One of my debian boxes is becoming increasingly unstable, with general
protection faults and segfaults almost every day now.

I checked the RAM a couple of weeks ago with the memtest utility included
with hwtools (i think), and it didn't find any faults -- but I know this
doesn't mean the RAM's not at fault.  Is there anything else I should be
considering?  It's a 2 1/2 year old machine on an Intel Endeavor
motherboard, P166, 2940 host adapter.  Diagnostics are a bit tricky as I'm
on the other side of the atlantic from the machine.

Suggestions from people experienced in these matters welcomed...

TIA -TL

----
M$ slips up in true Freudian style...
Seminar attendee: "Why is [Outlook] so slow?"
M$ rep:           "That's because it's live on the network."
Seminar attendee: "As opposed to...?"
Stop the madness!  Free yourselves!  http://www.opensource.org/