Re: Serial line appears to be looped back.

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Catalin Popescu wrote:

> I managed quite easily to get my ppp running (using the config scripts
> included with the Debian 1.3 instalation). Everything was OK until a few
> days ago. I've noticed that after phoning and connecting succesfully to
> my ISP I get the following message "Serial line appears to be looped
> back".
>
> I suspect that this is due to friend of mine who tried to config some
> applications. He probably modified something somewhere and made my
> ppp-connection unusable. He's away for a while and I don't know
> where to look to fix this problem.

The connection sequence has probably been modified on your machine or your
isp.  The file is /etc/ppp.chatscript (see "man chat").  The loopback
means that what you type is echoed back which means the isp didn't start
up the ppp connection.  (If you can't figure it out from log files and the
chatscript, dial in with minicom and remember what the isp sends and what
you respond with to get the ppp garbage to start arriving.)

My termonology may be wrong, but you get the idea,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds