Re: long filenames in M$Dos partition

>   Can anybody of you please explain to me (hopeless newbie) why
> when I can't see long filenames on mounted msdos partition? This
> causes me some pain in the neck as I can't freely manipulate files
> between linux and dos...

Since linux assumes that an MSDOS file system is to be operatable even when it
does not mounted by Linux, it doesn't want to intefer with MSDOS file system
too much. There for, when mounting an MSDOS file system, Linux stickes with
the MSDOS rules.
But, being aware to the limitations of an MSDOS file system, I believe that
Linux tries to make long names short in a consistent and unique way.
Perhaps the easiest way when dealing with files that lives both on an MSDOS
file system and on "linux" file system is to determine thier names in the 8.3
format from the beginning.