Re: Newbie question-install ethernet card

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, finn wrote:

> Well, it's not _strictly_ necessary, unless you dual boot to Win95.
> Win95 seems to get some sort of perverse pleasure out of reconfiguring
> the 3C509 every time it boots up ... and this drives Linux absolutely
> nuts (as it should).
>
> In addition, I've run into a few 3C509s that absolutely refused to work
> with Linux until they were reconfigured manually.  Also, try setting up
> multiple 3C509s in one machine without disabling PnP ...

Agreed. We also have a recent batch of combos that won't detect the BNC port
in auto-detect - they have to be explicitly configured to BNC.

Cheers,

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151