Re: Serial Ports.

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Graham Lillico +44 1785 248131 wrote:

> Does anyone know why on boot up my Serial ports are displayed as /dev/tty00 and
> /dev/tty01?

Don't know about the "/dev/" but my kernel (serial built-in) says:

Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
APM BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x1b (Driver version 1.2)

very near the beginning and:

Initializing random number generator...
Configuring serial ports....
done.
/dev/ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
/dev/ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Typematic Rate set to 15.0 cps (delay = 500 mS)
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2

later on.

> I have tried running the 0setserial script from /rc.boot/ (i think thats
> correct) and that says they are /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 but it also produces
> a wierd error, something like;
>
> 	cannot get serial info: not a typewriter
>
> Does anyone know what this error means? or what i can do to fix it and where
> the serial ports are set up on boot (i.e. what init script).

Is that "Cannot set serial info" ?
Maybe the serial ports are have got set oddly in your CMOS, or a resource
or IRQ conflict.

> I have serial support compiled as a kernal module and it is loaded on boot but
> that puts an error message in /var/log/messages but i can't remember what it
> is, something to do with an option.

Are you sure that's not just from the first batch of messages above?

Cheers,

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151