Sendmail setup....

Hi all.  I was hoping that someone could help with a rather obscure
techinique I'm trying to implement with sendmail.

Basically our network has two different mail servers - one for a student
network, and one for administration staff.  They both accept mail for
the same domain address.  Now all the mail from outside is first
delievered to the admin server (it is also the network gateway), then any
mail that is explicitly known to be for a student is passwd on to the
student mail server (via entries in the aliases file - such as
"student: student@studentserver").

However, when a student sends outgoing mail, it is sent first to the
student mail server.  If the mail is for a local address the student
server must then determine if it is actually for an admin account, and if
so pass it on to the admin server (again this is currently done by entries
in the aliases file - such as "adminuser: adminuser@adminserver").

Confusing?

Now what I am trying to do is remove the need for each machine to know
exactly what users are on the other.  I have done this for incoming mail
by configuring the admin server to forward any mail for unknown users to
the student server so that it can attempt delivery.

I tried to do the same for the student server, but the problem is that any
mail for a real unknown address ends up boncing back and forth between the
two servers.

What I would like to do is to configure sendmail to first check if the
mail has allready been through the other machine before relaying unknown
users to it - but as you've probably guessed I really wouldn't know where
to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris