Re: Windows 95 and Debian

Bruce Arnold <arnold@cs.unr.edu> writes:

> Can someone please tell me how to connect my newly loaded Linux machine to
> my small LAN in my apartment?   I am running two Windows 95 machines as
> well.  I believe I selected the IPX/SPX option when I set it up.  Actually,
> if possible, can someone tell me how to map either drive system on to the
> other?

It is easier to add tcp/ip support on your Win boxes.
There´s a range of addresses (192.?.?.?) which you can choose for
local installations, i.e. without official approvement for this
addresses. Sorry, I don´t know them without digging in Howtos and
RFC´s (Internet Standard Documentation).

> Using IPX?  Using TCP/IP?

Using samba.

>From the type of question (map drive from Win95 to a linux Linux
drive) I deduce you are not very familiar with a unix OS. Please take
the time to get a unix primer from your nearest library and read
something about the "file" and directory philosophy of Unix.
As these OSes are quite different you might want to learn what the
difference is.

Please do not take this as an offence if I´m wrong (English is not my
first language).

Thanks,

Jens

---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37