Re: X at higher resolutions, and embedding lower resolutions

"Maximiano C. Francisco III" <maxfranc@goalasic.com> writes:

> How do you enable X to run at say 16 bpp?  I know you can tell X to run
> at 16bpp by running X as:
>                     X -bpp 16
> But how do you make sure that everytime I log on it goes to this
> resolution automatically?
>
> Also, I have some applications which run only in 8bpp mode, and I HATE
> having to restart X each time I need to run these apps.  Is there a way
> I can run my default X session in 16 bpp, but still run these 8bpp apps?
>
> thanx...

Well, you can set the default color depth in XF86Config as someone
else mentioned.  As for running certain apps at different resolutions,
I don't believe that's possible; however, it is possible to run two X
servers at once (on different virtual consoles), each with a different
number of bits per pixel.  (you can then switch between the two with
Ctrl-Alt-F?, where ? is usually 7 or 8)

If you're using startx, and start up one server with:
startx -- -bpp 16   # Or just with "startx" if you've made 16bpp default

You can start up another with:
startx -- :1 -bpp 8

Then, the 16bpp server will start on (probably) VT7, and the 8bpp one
will then start on VT8.  One thing to watch is that you need to run
startx from a text console, not an xterm.  (Unless in /etc/X11/Xserver
you've said that anybody can start up X).

If you use xdm, you can change the last few lines of /etc/X11/Xservers
to be:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 16 vt07
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 8 vt08

In xdm you need to specify explicitly the virtual terminal the server
starts on because xdm will start both servers at once, and they'll end
up fighting over the first available terminal.

Once you've started both servers, you can switch from one to the other
as easily as you can change text consoles.   Not quite what you
wanted, but workable.