Re: smail (again..... sheesh..)

Hallo john@dhh.gt.org
> > If you use a smarthost, then the mail that they send for you is not
> > rejected, as their "HELO [domain]" is valid, it can be found on the
> > DNS. whereas mine is not. is this right?
>
> In my limited experience, mail servers always accept HELO from non-existent
> domains.  I find this surprising.
>
> > I gather that when visible_name is set to your ISP, i.e. win.bright.net,
> > or in my case es.co.nz , then you appear as if you are masquerading as
> > your ISP.
>
> No, I'm just telling them that the mail originated in my isp's domain.
> The HELO supposedly tells them who I am.

Yes! ... HELO/EHLO your.domain.org
then smail (with some switches on) will test if the name and the IP# of the
originating host correspond, else smail will not accept mail from this
host. Other MTA will differ .. but with this method most spams will not find
the way to you...
Still there are lots of misconfigured Mail server, but if more and more
people using smail or some other strong spam protection, they will convert
there configs (imho).
Coming back to smail and config..
/etc/smail/config
hostname= must contain as first entry your legal hostname, or your smarthost
must accept it (thats the only way for dynamical ip#) .

regards
	Soenke