HELP: TkDesk disappears

The following problem has recently begun to occur consistently with
TkDesk.
When I try to invoke TkDesk, the first small loading window appears, but
when it disappears, the TkDesk filemanager is nowhere to be seen, altho
ps indicates it is running. If I remove the .tkdesk directory and then
invoke TkDesk, it appears correctly again, but of course with factory
defaults. If I close it and then try to run it again, I get the same
behavior as before. I would appreciate any help I can get with this
problem. I am using Debiaan 1.3.1

Albert Hurd