Re: Sendmail/fetchmail problems?

Is sendmail the ONLY thing you added?  Are you running suck, leafnode, or
other news software that might open a bunch of files?  In other words,
sendmail might be the process reporting the error but it might not be
BECAUSE of sendmail that the error is occuring.  Your pop server is also
reporting problems, no?

You might check that the permissions on /var/spool/mail have not changed.
I think you will need group write depending on delivery agent.

DO you also remember adding anything else?  Changing a webserver or adding
some other program?  In any case, I was getting similar errors, I applied
those changes, and the errors went away.  Good luck!

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, George Bonser wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, this is a problem with the kernel.  It does not allow enough open
> > files for a server that is busy.
>
> hmmm, i only noticed this since i upgraded from sendmail 8.8.8-X to the
> 8.8.8-9. I didnt think my system would be classified as busy... a pentium
> 100 with 40M. Basically all i do is irc and read mail, and maybe a little
> web browsing
>
> I have been running 2.0.32 for about 1 month now...
>
> Thanks for the quick response!
>
> Walter
>
> --
> Walter L. Preuninger II                        waldo @ irc.wasteland.org:#unix
>   walterp@texramp.net                                   waldo@aidan.net
>
>                   L  I  N  U  X  Where You Really Should Be!

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org