Re: Linux on an 8086

Hi:

The inquiry below may well be better answered with Minix.

There was a project porting Linux to the 8086.  As I recall, this was
intended to develop code for embedded projects.

Would someone post the name, please?

--David

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Tonetti.doc, R Tonetti wrote:
>
> : Hi everibody!
> :
> : I have got an Olivetti 8086, 1MB RAM, 100MB harddisk, 3.5" floppy. Do you
> : know of a BASIC version of Linux, RedHat or another U*ix dialect that I can
> : install on it?
> : Of course, I do not pretend super graphics, 64 virtual consoles &c...
> :
> : Please reply in English, French, German, Italian or Spanish (pick only one
> : choice ;-)) ).
> :
> : Cheers from N Italy!
> :
> : Roberto
>
> Hmm, I used to have an Olivetti almost exactly like that.  Unfortuntely,
> Linux (and most any other UNIX) requires at least a 386 class processor
> (yes, I know Linux runs on non-Intel platforms too :).  So, your 8086
> isn't going to run Linux at all.
>
> However, it may run Minix, which is quite basic.  There was a version
> available via ftp - I'll have to scrounge around to see if I still have
> the ftp site.  You could try a net search.
>
> --
> Nathan Norman

       LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [3456]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | Ask me how user interface copyrights & software
teague@wcu.edu | patents make programing a dangerous business.

spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia
clipper National Security Council explosion Treasury terrorist Delta
Force bomb Iran Mossad data encryption munitions Serbian hydrazine
ammonium nitrate fuel oil cocaine assassinate counterfeit destabilize