Re: loading support for 2 ethernet cards

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Rob Goodwin wrote:
>
> : I am having trouble autoprobing more than one Ethernet card at boot
> : time.  I have compiled support for the cards I am using (they are both
> : of the same type) but only one is detected at boot time.  I found a
> : howto that describes a method that involves adding the line
> : "ether=0,0,eth1" to my lilo.conf file but I continuosly get syntax
> : errors when doing this and I cant figure out where in the lilo.conf file
> : to put this line... Any help would be appreciated.
> :
> : Thanks in advance
> : Rob
>
> Yeah, it's a bit unclear at first.  What you want to do is put the
> information on the append line, like this:
>
> append="mem=96M ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=11,0x2e0,eth1"
>
> I'd recommend you put in the real values rather than 0,0 - that enables
> autoprobing and let's face it, you do want to know which interface is
> which, don't you?
>
> I hope this helps.  By the way, my two cards are 3C509B's.

If you have two or more 3com cards of the same type (and perhaps if you
have two or more cards of the same type of any brand, I don't know), they
are always "sorted" by ethernet address, so the one with the lowest
ethernet address always has the lowest ethX number. I know of a guy that
had one NE2000 clone and three 3c509 cards. His setup was:

eth0 : NE2000
eth1 : 3c509 with lowest ethernet address
eth2 : 3c509
eth3 : 3c509 with highest ethernet address

He could get the NE2000 at eth3 and the 3c509's at eth0 to eth2, but he
couldn't change the relative order of the 3c509's.

So, unless you have different network cards, you don't need to specify the
actual irq and io parameters.

If anyone has an example that proves me wrong, please respond. I am not
claiming to be an expert on this.

Remco