Re: AVI viewer

tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> Kevin Cave writes:
> >
> > iquest wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >   Is there a .avi viewer on Linux/X11 ?
> >
> > Yup! Package called "xanim", which is under the "Graphics" section.
>
> I beg your pardon, but xanim is "non-free" and your answer to the gentleman
> infers that xanim is distributed as part of the offical release.

Oh Dear! Sorry for trying to be of assistance to someone asking a question here,

but would you care to try the following? ....

1) Using your preferred web browser, go to http://www.nl.debian.org
2) After the page has came up, click on "Debian Packages"
3) Click on "View the packages in the unstable distributions"
4) On this page, click on "Graphics/"
5) Using whatever method suits you best, scroll down to quite near the bottom
     of the list of packages AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD.
6) Click on the package entitled "xanim"

Yes! You're quite correct!  Xanim is classed as "non-free"!

Yes! I'M quite correct! There is a package called xanim, which the gentleman
can, quite properly, download from from this site!

If the gentleman had asked "Is there a _free_ Debian package that plays .avi
packages?", then perhaps I may have answered him differently, but since there
was no such criterion in his orginal question, then I merely gave the reply
which
was best suited to his query.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what you're point is. If that package is not included
in
the CD distribution, then fine! But the fact remains that he can download
xanim, from the Debian site easily, and use it with, as far as I can tell, no
legal
recourse, as "non-free" means that the package has some restriction on it's
distribution.

If someone can elaborate on this, then I would welcome it gladly.

Sorry to appear to have a bit of a rant about this, but I was only trying to
help
the original query!

rgds.

--
Kevin Cave. A Scotsman living in London, but may move to Japan.
Registered Linux User #64441