Re: Debian vs. FreeBSD

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Y.A.Uvarov wrote:
> Could somebody compare Debian with FreeBSD.
> I currently work on FreeBSD and I want to
> know if there are any reasons to try Debian.

Not starting religious wars - it really depends. FreeBSD is solid and most
people who use it in my experience needs it for web-servers and the kind.
I do not recall anyone who uses it as a personal workstation like me. I
like trying new applications and throwing them out as soon as I think I
know what they do and it they do not satisfy my needs - Yep.

If I wanted to learn about the UNIX I probably use FreeBSD, but now I want
to have apps that do some work and that I can experiment with.
Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	    http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa    (w) 27+21+650 2816   (h) 27+21+705 1233