Any thoughts on clients-server systems

Hi,
I am looking for ideas and solutions on implementing some client-server
system in my lab. What I mean is I want to add Debian boxes and not have
to install all the packages. I want to have one or two machines with all
the packages and have other machines load the binaries from those
machines.

I have sort of already tried but I have some problems. For example
installing a Debian man insists on writing into /usr/include/man which
happens to be on the server and it is only accessed read-only. And I have
problems with perl wanting to access the /usr/lib before its loaded via
AMD and NFS, etc.

I have sort of a working system with three computers but I will appreciate
any useful info for example how to have one loggin/password checking etc.
I guess I need references and ideas especially from the Debian group as
all the machines are running Debian.

Thanks
D.

Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	    http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa    (w) 27+21+650 2816   (h) 27+21+705 1233