Re: CNAME records (was: Re: dynamic DNS within a non-dynamic domain)

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> Talking about CNAME records, I have a question about that.
>
> I have a static IP address, 130.89.222.95. My FQDN is
> cal011205.student.utwente.nl. There is a CNAME record
> blaakmeer.student.utwente.nl -> Cal011205.student.utwente.nl. Also, there
> are two MX records for cal011205.student.utwente.nl. One with priority 10
> that points to cal011205.student.utwente.nl and another with priority 100
> that points to schuimpje.snt.utwente.nl, which is a backup mail server.
>
> When I send mail, most of the time the MTA seems to be doing a DNS lookup
> for the hostname in the From: line and so
> "remco@blaakmeer.student.utwente.nl" is replaced by
> "remco@Cal011205.student.utwente.nl".
>
> I don't know if it's my smail or the receiving end that is doing the DNS
> lookup. Does anybody else have the same problem? Is it the default
> behaviour for one or more MTAs? Is it a Good Thing or a Bad Thing? I would
> be happy to turn it off, since everything is properly configured for me,
> if that's at all possible.
>
> Remco

One thing to do is to make sure that you have the following in your
own /etc/hosts file:

130.89.222.95	blaakmeer.student.utwente.nl cal011205.student.utwente.nl

If you are using sendmail, it will grab the FIRST name listed when it
canonifies the address. Also, you might use mail -v to send someone
an email outside of your network, this allows you to see exactly what
what your machines gives the other mailhost in the MAIL FROM: part of
the transaction.

If you are using NIS and it is using an NIS lookup ahead of DNS, it will
also grab the first name listed after the IP address in the table.

If you are using a smarthost that uses SunOS with Sun's sendmail. you are
likely out of luck. I will go into the reasons for that in private email
if this is the case but the only way around it is to get your hostname
listed first in the domain's NIS hosts.byname map if it uses NIS for
host resolution.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org