How to install drivers on Installation

My system : an Old PS/2 8580 IBM SCSI controller 2 SCSI DISK 1
SCSI CDRom 12 Mo RAM
Boot disk : kernel using MCA
Using base-1 to base-5 system to start installation -> OK

But when I'm tryng to instal drivers, got errors : zcat command not
found :(
Images for drivers come from Debian 1.3.1 distribution :)
Boot Disk from 1.2 MCA Patches (I Think).

If I by pass this installation and goes on, install LiLO to be able to
boot on SCSI DiSK -> OK :)
Reboot the machine, and Boot is OK :)

Then got new configuration to add password to root user, add new user,
and add other Debian packages ...

And, at this step, if I try to get informations from the CDRom in my
SONY CD Reader, got following message :

Kernel does not support ISO 9600 (or something like that) :(

What was wrong ?
Do I have to really install drivers, and if YES, then where can I found
an installable distribution with my bootable Disks ?

Hope that my LiNUX will up ToNight ~:)

Thanks for your HeLP
Pascal MIQUET.