Re: StarOffice install problem

tmalloy@escape.com writes:

> I wanted to do a fresh install.  I then
> rm - /home/tom Star* and proceded to rerun the setup script.  This will
> not run saying it is having trouble creating /usr/local/bin/StarOffice.  I
> suppose that rm did not delete all the necessary files before a reinstall
> is possible, or some sort of permissions issue is going on that I don't
> understand.

Make a "rm -rf ~tom/Star* ~tom/.sorc", then do read the README that
comes along with the StarOffice archive and which says to install as
root by invoking "./setup /net" for the multiuser thingie.
Installation should be straight forward then.  The user setup is BTW
not the same one used for installing the whole beast, but instead
"/path/to/StarOffice/bin/setup".

In any case it is rather braindead to have this setup install 11 megs
of superfluous stuff in each user's home directory.  Therefore one of
the principal SO developers wrote a small shell script routine to run
this setup with a slightly different twist sparing quite a few megs of
disk space in /home/*.  It replaces "/path/to/StarOffice/bin/soffice"
and "/path/to/StarOffice/bin/setup" altogether. Upon being invoked it
checks for the existence of "~/.sorc" and if the latter doesn't exist
automagically runs a modified user setup which basically installs a
lot of symlinks instead of copying the shared StarOffice files.

You can get these scripts from the developers private home page as
"http://www.on-line.de/~michael.hoennig/AutoMultiUserSetupForSO40Linux.tar";.

> By the way,  How do you change partition sizes without reinstalling the
> system.  I seem to be wasting a lot of space.  Thank you for anyt help

That's easy: Make a backup of your partitions, verify that a restore
will work flawlessly and then just go repartitioning. After formatting
your newly created partition just restore your system from the
backup. :-)

Another quite insane method i've read in a German newsgroup, but which
i've never even dared to think about trying out was the following:

------------------snip---------------------------------
root > fdisk /dev/sda            # join partitions
root > mknode /copypipe p
root > (tar -czf /copypipe /home/
        mke2fs /dev/sda2
        tar -xzpf /copypipe
       )                         # pray really hard

I don't know if this remotely works, but the idea seems to be quite
ingenious IMHO. ;-) Better don't try it out unless one of the really
competent people on the list give some positive comment about it.
Or maybe better simply forget about it... ;-)

                            Good luck, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig