Kernel Customization.

I tried to customize the installation kernel, but I was not completely
succesful.

1) Debian FAQ says that dpkg will

 	*  install the custom kernel in /boot/vmlinuz_VVV-Custom.N, and set
    	   up appropriate symbolic links to the most recent kernel version.

   my /boot directory only contains vmlinuz_VVV.
2) /usr/doc/kernel-source-2.0.29/debian.README.gz says that

	A note on LILO: the kernel-image install-scripts arrange to have
	/vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old point to the latest kernel image and the
	next most recent one, respectively. You may choose to have LILO take
	advantage of this by putting image = /vmlinuz and image = /vmlinuz.old
	lines in your lilo.conf (please read documentation on LILO for details).

   I don't have /vmlinuz.old. Only /vmlinuz.
3) I don't understand how to deal with modules. I thought that it is
sufficient
   to tell xconfig that I want something as a module. Is it true ? When should
    I run modconf ?
4) During the init phase, I have some new messages that are scrolling too
fast.    How can I read them ?

	Thank you.