Re: i made a mess with dselect

Alain Toussaint <alaint@boisfrancs.qc.ca> writes:

> tonight,i got dselect to upgrade my debian distribution,i connected to the
> ftp.debian.org site (via dselect),cd to /debian,it updated her package.gz
> file,and i choosen to install all package suggested by dselect in the
> install menu,but the installation has gone wrong,i tried to undo the
> change but this only got me in trouble (i'm a beginner only using debian
> since 4th january),here's what i want to know,i need to save my personnal
> mail,i want to wipe-out the linux partition and re-install thing up (i'm
> using a CD from boot magazine to install debian on my computer):
>
> 1-:my mail is stored in /var/spool/mail/$USER (i.e.my username),do i need
> just to copy this file (to another partition) and when i'm done,i re-copy
> the file to it original place (i.e. /var/spool/mail/$USER) and pine will
> acomodate it ??

     This should work OK.  You will probably need root permissions to
do this.

> 2-:if i wipe-out my hard disk,does PPP networking would be available on
> the boot,root and install disk so that instead of using the CD,i could
> connect directly to the net for the latest distribution ??

     The base disk installation provides ppp.  You would have to setup
/etc/ppp/peers/provider and /etc/chatscripts/provider with the correct
telephone number, responses, etc. to work with your ISP.

> 3 (and last)-:the distribution on the CD is debian 1.3.0 and the one from
> ftp.debian.org is 1.3.1r6 (i think..i'm not sure),does it is worth the
> trouble to connect to the net for the latest release or i'm better of
> keeping the CD version ??

     Someone else has advised you that a 1.3.1r6 CDs are available at
farily cheap prices.  Another approach is to reinstall from the 1.3
CD, then use dselect/dpkg-ftp to upgrade.  That would greatly reduce
the amount of data to be downloaded by ftp, which would be beneficial
if on-line time is a concern.  With a 28.8 connection a complete
install by ftp might run 12-26 hours or longer, depending on how many
packages you install, but upgrading from 1.3 to 1.3.1r6 would take
less than 20% of that.

--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@metrolink.net>